Home pageAbout Our VillageVillage CalendarSchools & YouthSocietiesChurch & ChapelSport & RecreationCommunity
Parish CouncilLocal BusinessesCommunity Led PlanLocal GovernmentUseful Links

The Village

The Village of Loxwood lies in the Northwest of Sussex very close to the border with Surrey

Click on the map to see where the Village is or
have a look at Loxwood from the air by clicking on the photograph!

 

Map of Loxwood
  Aerial View of Loxwood

 

A SHORT HISTORY OF A LOXWOOD

The name Loxwood could be derived from a Saxon God called Lokka. Lox is also described as a stream, which seems a more likely derivation. The soil is of Wealden clay being situated on the Low Weald. Prior to 1757 travel was difficult. Villagers were unable to travel to the church at Wisborough Green. Permission was sought of the Bishop at Chichester in 1401 for a chapel to be built in Loxwood. The present shops in Loxwood were once known as the Combination Stores, which was run by the Cokelers. This was the nickname of a branch of a religious sect called the Dependent Brethren. John Sirgood who preached at Clapham thought the people in the country might be more receptive so he and his wife set out with their belongings in a handcart. Sadly, the last of these brethren has now died and the shop has long been taken over by private owners.

The Wey and Arun Canal Society has restored the disused canal. The school was once held in the building opposite the church. It is now situated in Nicholsfield and has a happy and lively ambience. Children go on from there to the Weald School in Billingshurst. There are many historical houses in Loxwood. The Onslow Arms was a Toll House in 1800.